Thursday, March 26, 2015

DIY Thrifted Wall Art

It's no secret that I love pinterest! It's like going to the candy store for a thrifty-do-it-yourself-addicted-to-pretty-things girls like me. One day a few weeks back I pinned this beautiful piece.



And then a few days later I got notification that my sister-in-law pinned it. So I knew I had to make her one. I went digging in my garage in my over abundant stash of picture frames that I have picked up at yard sales or thrift stores over the past few years and found the perfect one. Now it was a frame that had this dog poster in it with glasses on it. The poster was mounted on cardboard and I am sure some 13 year old loved it at one point of this frame's life. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.



I took the print out, primed it with some regular latex primer then I used some texture paste to give it a nice texture. The flat painted cardboard didn't cut it. I then took some white and off-white craft paint and randomly covered the whole thing. I was able to transfer the quote with regular transfer paper. I was planning on distressing the lettering but it took off the texture paste so I had to kill that idea. I do like the crispness of it. So happy I mixed in some off-white though.


For the frame I mixed up some milk paint and put a thicker layer over the beige burlap strip on the frame and then the rest of the frame just got a white washed layer which was later sanded down. I love how it totally changed the look of the frame.



Hope you like it! Have a great night!!




Moonlight and Mason Jars Link Party

No comments:

Post a Comment